Click here to visit the Farmhouse

Montecastelli Alto

Colle Uliveto

Montecastelli  
The oldest, known  records of Montecastelli date back to 1172 and regard the “captaincy” assigned to the Bishop of Città di Castello by Marquis Ugolino. Throughout the middle ages, and up to 1500, the castle was the scene of many bitter clashes between the inhabitants of Perugia and those from the Tiferno, and it was repeatedly sacked and destroyed.
It was inhabited up until the nineteen-sixties, when it was abandoned due to the de-population of the countryside.
The current buildings at Montecastelli, alongside the highroad Statale Tiberina 3 Bis, began to develop towards the end of the nineteenth century. They are centred around an ancient building which had, among other things, served as a “hospitium” close to the bridge on the river Tiber, which is thought to have been built around the eighth or ninth centuries. In 1890, the church of the Saints Peter and Paul was built, largely as a result of pressure from the

 priest of the ancient Pieve of Montecastelli, of which we now have very few records.
The church was  consecrated on the 11th of September 1897. At the centre of a fertile plain, Montecastelli has begun to grow in the last few decades, thanks to its activity both as a farm and as a working place for artisans.
Montecastelli is referred to in the publications of the historian Ascani:
 
“When Niccoló Vitelli re-entered Città di Castello to drive back the papal troops, he wished to continue towards La Fratta, assisted by the Sforzas and by Bartolomeo Pucci. However, the Pope, alarmed, gathered his troops at La Fratta and took first Citerna, an operation executed by Captain Mancini of the Borgo with 100 men, then Monte Migiano which was defended by 100 foot-soldiers captained by Capitano Della Vecchia. He then took Monte Castelli which he left in the care of the guards as a defence for the Tiber Valley. The year was 1482”

CRONOLOGY OF THE BISHOPS OF CITTA DI CASTELLO
PIETRO V:32nd Bishop of Città di Castello, driven into exile by Barbarossa, returned to his seat on the 16th of July 1172 and had the captaincy of Montecastelli.

BONIFACIO BONORIO: 45th Bishop of Città di Castello, son of Giovannetto da Pietralunga, he was elected on the 10th of January 1358.When the episcopacy was switched with the town hall, he immediately saw the opportunity of  enlarging his new residence and on the 29th of May 1360 he asked the Canonica to concede him the Churches of Saint Stephen and La Pieve with the attached houses to insert into the new buildings, in exchange for the baptismal font and the Pieve of Saint Costanzo (at Montecastelli) by deed of Benedetto Da Pace, his notary.

Extracts taken from:
"La Cattedrale Tifernate"
di Angelo Ascani - Città di Castello 1969
"Niccolò Vitelli, Padre della Patria"
di Angelo Ascani - Città di Castello 1967

 

AGRITURISMO - FARMHOUSE "THE DREAM VALLEY"

Via Rinascita, 10 - MONTECASTELLI (PG) ITALY - Tel. 075.941.00.95 - Mobile 335.81.03.375 - 335.10.94.489
© Copyright Win S.r.l. 2002 è Vietata la Riproduzione   Web Design Arch. F. Venturucci